Tuesday, October 7, 2014

27 - The Month of the Storm

Well first off I gave up on German. Now I'm getting into Italian a little bit. And no, no one speaks those languages out here, but while I have the gift of tongues why not try it out? haha It's kind of difficult sometimes. But Italian is so close that sometimes you can use Italian and people think you are speaking Spanish! It's actually kind of funny to do.

Conference was great! But me and my comp are kind of worried, all first session of Sunday is about the prophet and how we respect him and follow him. Then Pres. Uchtdorf told about if the prophet can't make decisions, his counselors can do it for him. And then to start President Monson's talk he said like I hope you can pray for me to give this talk. So me and my comp were getting all worried over here! But other than that my favorite one was Elder Holland's talk on Saturday, I don't remember which session, but it was a super good one!

I just hope Marcus isn't married by the time I get back! I wanna be able to go do some fun stuff. But maybe he will finally wanna hang out with me by then! haha. But it's kind of funny how big of a problem facebook and twitter and all that stuff is. People just get caught up in all of it, when there are so many more worth while things to be doing. 
 
But we have a 15 year old kid and a 9 year old girl who are pretty ready to get baptized. The 15 year old has all the requirements done. He always gets super excited when we talk about the Book of Mormon or something about the church. The 9 year old girl, her sister is a member and comes like every week. The younger sister needs to come to church. The only problem is we won't be here next week, so her sister who is a member needs to bring her or it won't happen this change. So we really hope she does! We have another person who is like 16. His girlfriend is a member, but we aren't too sure about how interested he is. But we are trying our best and working hard.

Yes, we can get our food and mail even if we stay on the island. We just make a list of what we need, and then they buy all the stuff for us. They drop it off as they come past. But we have a crap load of stuff! We got Febreeze (Hawaiian Passion) something like that. Me and my comp were in heaven! It smells so dang good! I also got a letter from Bro. Beckstead. The ZLs brought our mail with our food and stuff. The only problem is it's super difficult to send letters from out here. You have to send stuff into the city by plane and then they send it from there. But it's super sketchy and sometimes they don't even send it. So that's the only problem with it. And yes, sometimes they do fly you in instead of coming by boat. If they know you are going in far enough before hand, they get you a plane ticket. Yes, we do have a kitchen in the church, complete with a cooker and a table. But the good thing is our cooker is a propane one so it's a million times better than those stupid hot plates! I love cooking on real fire! It makes it a lot more fun! 

Now to some things that happened this week. First off I had to judge a singing competition. It was from preschool to 5th grade and they asked me to come be a judge. It was super funny, the other two judges were like singing teachers at other schools. Then me, some white kid. So I had a good time with it. There were some freaking cuties there! And when it got to the really little ones, they got nervous and some cried a little, I felt so sad! So I gave them all like the same score! I was like no! It's okay you adorable little girl! Don't cry! It just pulled at my heart strings! 

Then comes the fumigation story. So they fumigate for mosquitoes every once in a while. So they told us they would come at like 9 so we were just waiting for them to get there. Then out of nowhere they start it up and smoke starts coming up from the floors. So we are like, crap! So we run to a window, start taking out the slats and jump out of the window! So yeah, we had to escape out of the church. 

Then 3. I guess October is the month of the storm. They say that during the month there are like storms every day. And they get huge wind storms a lot. During the day they are fine because you can see what's going on, but at night it's kinda creepy. But they have a thing here, whenever there is a big storm, they believe if you blow on a conch shell the storm will pass faster. So the wind is blowing like crazy and you can hear a faint conch shell being blown. It's super, super cool actually! But on Saturday there was a storm during the day. I looked out, and it was pouring, but I could see two boats tied together that broke off from the land and were just kinda cruising on out to open ocean. It was pretty funny to see actually. But the storms at night aren't quite as fun. But I guess it's just how it is.
 
My missions president replied to me and my companion's letters last week. He actually asked my comp if he thought I would be able to be the branch secretary for all of San Blas Islands. That's the calling my comp has right now. So that's kind of scary! But it's cool to think about too.  

But that's pretty much all that happened this week. Nothing too exciting! Just a ton of conference! But I love you. Keep it real home slice.


No comments:

Post a Comment