Monday, August 25, 2014

21 - San Blas Island life!!!

Loving the dress code here!







This is what they do to the boats of drug runners. Sink them!


This is the bathroom. Yes, that is the ocean under his feet. Yes, the fish eat what goes in there.

He lives in the church. They stack the chairs and string the hammocks!



Well, I'm going to send all my pictures to you, it takes like 5 minutes to send each picture because internet is really slow here. But first off at the airport, I was going through customs where they check your passport,  and the guy showed me something on the back of my card that was about re entry. I guess with my 1 year Visa you can't leave the country and come back. But they didn't put me in jail or anything, they just talked to me and had me sign some papers. I guess the AP's took care of it, well actually the Secretary of Immigration did.

But the island is pretty dang cool! Pretty much everyone lives in little huts made out of sticks and stuff. All the islands that have missionaries are over populated, but they say mine is the most modern one. They do have cops here! But they don't do anything. They actually have a couple boat wrecks out in the ocean like 40 yards. What happens is they get a ton of drug smugglers coming through, and they take their boats, and if they are kinda crappy they just sink them. They have a huge one out there, but a bigger and nicer one they got a few weeks ago that they are going to keep.

But that brings me to getting here. We got to the docks on Saturday, but most of the boats are gone, so we spend 4 hours asking and looking for a boat to take us to the island. It was supposed to cost about 175 or 200 to take us all out to our islands, but after a long time, some guy agreed to take us if we bought gas (about 120) and then paid another 130 for us. So it was roughly 250.  We were like, might as well take it, because the boats only travel in the morning. So after an hour and a half, we got to out island. It's one of the closer ones to the docks.

My comp is pretty cool, he is from Washington, Elder Sumpter and we get along pretty well. When I got here he made lunch, and an hermana brought turtle meat for us, and I guess members like never feed you out here except when your comp is gone or something. My comp is gonna be gone on a trip for a few days, so I'll have to fend for myself.  President knows it and said it will be okay.  So I might have some members who have pity on me and bring me some food.

Saturday we went around and met a few people, then we had a lesson. The girl accepted the baptismal date, but didn't show up to church so we have to move it back another week.

Then Sunday we had church. My comp is the district secretary, we also teach teenage Sunday School, and seminary too. Then the president of our district asked if I would be willing to take over the English class at the school. Yeah they ask a 19 year old non fluent Spanish speaker to teach them all English. So I'll see what I can do. But me and my comp set super super high goals for this change. Baptisms, 60 lessons with members present. So we have a lot of work to do.

But on Sunday we had a lesson with a girl. I felt super good about it, and she accepted a baptismal date. For baptisms here, you can do it in the river on the mainland at this island called Mormon island, super gorgeous beaches, or just in the ocean by our island. So I hope we get to do that! But it's crazy here, our toilets are just over the ocean, we shower with buckets outside, and we sleep in hammocks. So it's pretty fun. But the people here are really sweet and they are really welcoming, at least the members. But we have members next door, and their son listens to like Drake and Eminem, and all those super big rappers, so I still get to listen to normal music. 

Walking is okay, I don't have too much pain. When I dangle my feet off my hammock it kinda hurts it a little, but not bad. Other than that everything is going good! Tell Dolores I said feliz cumplianos! 

I'll send you some pics. I love you! And the chums work great!

No comments:

Post a Comment